The danger of a sweet treat

The danger of a sweet treat

As the festive season begins we are all snacking on that little sweet treats we all love, Chocolate!

However chocolate might be tasty to your fury friends but it is not always as great for our fury friends and can often be more harmful than great! Dogs do have a sweet tooth, and will seem to enjoy treats like chocolate, but the by-products of digestion and metabolism of chocolate can be fatal.

How much is bad?
Unfortunately we do not know the exact limit of the sweet treat can harm a dog, but we have many reports of fatalities at seemingly very low doses. Small dogs are more affected than larger breeds as they mostly all get access to similar amounts. If a small dog eats a few squares it is far more of a problem than if a large dog ate the same amount. Usually they keep on eating regardless of size until they get caught, or the chocolate supply runs out!

What should you do?

Never use human chocolate as dog treats. Keep chocolate in a safe place.

Importantly – CALL US QUICKLY on 01746 763 998 if you know or suspect chocolate ingestion. We can advise on the best course of action.

What do we do?
We will usually have to remove the chocolate from the offending animal.  We need to know as soon as possible if you know or suspect chocolate ingestion.